Categorys
Pages
Linkpartner


    Page 240«..1020..239240241242..250..»



    Erosion still undermining Iowa cemetery - June 8, 2012 by Mr HomeBuilder

    Published Friday June 8, 2012 ";var zflag_nid="1431";var zflag_cid="512/511";var zflag_sid="1";var zflag_width="1";var zflag_height="1";var zflag_sz="31";

    LEHIGH, Iowa (AP) More land is sliding into a ravine at a rural cemetery near Lehigh where heavy rains a while back caused erosion so severe that caskets, vaults and bones were exposed.

    The damage, which happened in 2009 and 2010, is in a section at the back of Oak Grove Cemetery that has the oldest graves. Last year a contractor donated his labor to build an 18-foot retaining wall to prevent further erosion. The wall didn't last long.

    The middle section of the modular plastic landscaping brick has collapsed, and the rest of the wall appears to be failing too. Turf the length of the wall has sunk. So has the fencing. But no graves are exposed.

    We had a lot of volunteer labor to help. It was a good charity, but we still have the same problem, said Phil Berglund, a member of the Yell Township Board of Trustees, which oversees the cemetery.

    It's just as bad as it was before, only now we don't have the graves out over the edge, he said.

    A judge ruled last year the state could issue permits to have remains at Oak Grove exhumed and reburied. All but two graves closest to the ravine have since been moved to other areas of the cemetery, Berglund said.

    Webster County Board member Eddie Peterson said the trustees are responsible for the care of the cemetery, but there's a limit to the money available to fix the problem.

    Someone stepped up to fix it and it looked good for a while, but a lot of it is just dropping off. I don't know if there is a good way to fix it; it's a pretty steep ravine. People talk about how the trustees need to do something, but they are doing their very best, Peterson said.

    The contractor who built the wall, Tim Schultz, said he doesn't know what is causing the problem.

    Read the original here:
    Erosion still undermining Iowa cemetery

    Bethlehem Council hears safety concerns about a falling wall and cars hitting school kids - June 6, 2012 by Mr HomeBuilder

    BETHLEHEM, Pa. -

    A retaining wall is in desperate need of repair behind a property at 1028 Mechanic Street in south Bethlehem, according to a man who addressed Bethlehem City Council Tuesday night.

    If this wall comes down, somebodys going to get killed, warned Robert Delker.

    Delker, who resides in Northampton, said the home at that address was owned by his mother but is being transferred to him.

    Delker told council an engineer hired by the city to inspect the wall in 2004 concluded it is leaning and in danger of collapsing.

    Eight years later, the wall is getting worse, warned Delker. He said in the last few weeks, three big pieces of concrete broke off from a portion of the wall that is next door to his mothers home.

    He warned the wall could collapse on children playing in yards beneath it.

    Delker said he first brought the matter to City Council in April, but has gotten no response from Bethlehems administration. I got absolutely no where.

    He said the city administrators told him it would be opening cans of worms by going on private property to fix walls. But Delker stressed a portion of the wall was repaired by the city in the 1980s.

    Delker read a letter from State Sen. Lisa Boscola stating the wall is a public safety concern for those residents living in that neighborhood. Should this wall collapse in the future, it could be a grave outcome nobody wants to witness. In her letter, sent to the city, Boscola expressed hope a solution can be worked out between the city and the property owners.

    Follow this link:
    Bethlehem Council hears safety concerns about a falling wall and cars hitting school kids

    Bad design caused Olivers Hill wall fall - June 6, 2012 by Mr HomeBuilder

    THE collapse of a retaining wall at Olivers Hill has officially been blamed on bad design.

    VicRoads regional director Peter Todd said an independent investigation had found the key contributing factor to the collapse related to design assumptions made about the weight of the retaining wall.

    As a result, when constructed, the wall was not able to withstand the loads being imposed on it, Mr Todd said.

    In light of this information, VicRoads has reviewed its design processes to address this matter.

    The investigation also looked at design options for a new retaining wall at the site.

    Mr Todd said a structure, similar in nature to the previous wall, was still considered the most appropriate for this site, given the close proximity of the road and private properties on top of the road embankment.

    Detailed design is under way.

    At this stage, it is expected that the construction of the new retaining wall will commence in October and be completed before the end of 2012, he said.

    A retaining wall of rock-filled wire baskets being constructed at the bottom of Olivers Hill collapsed on Thursday, April 19, causing traffic chaos for motorists.

    >> PICTURES: Olivers Hill wall collapse

    Read the rest here:
    Bad design caused Olivers Hill wall fall

    Poor design blamed for Olivers Hill wall fall - June 6, 2012 by Mr HomeBuilder

    THE collapse of a retaining wall at Olivers Hill has officially been blamed on bad design.

    VicRoads regional director Peter Todd said an independent investigation had found the key contributing factor to the collapse related to design assumptions made about the weight of the retaining wall.

    As a result, when constructed, the wall was not able to withstand the loads being imposed on it, Mr Todd said.

    In light of this information, VicRoads has reviewed its design processes to address this matter.

    The investigation also looked at design options for a new retaining wall at the site.

    Mr Todd said a structure, similar in nature to the previous wall, was still considered the most appropriate for this site, given the close proximity of the road and private properties on top of the road embankment.

    Detailed design is under way.

    At this stage, it is expected that the construction of the new retaining wall will commence in October and be completed before the end of 2012, he said.

    A retaining wall of rock-filled wire baskets being constructed at the bottom of Olivers Hill collapsed on Thursday, April 19, causing traffic chaos for motorists.

    >> PICTURES: Olivers Hill wall collapse

    Original post:
    Poor design blamed for Olivers Hill wall fall

    What retaining Randy Wittman means for the Wizards - June 3, 2012 by Mr HomeBuilder

    This is sort of a big deal. (Nick Wass/AP)

    Retaining Randy Wittman wasnt exactly a daring move for the Wizards as they continue their efforts to eventually become a playoff team once again. It does, however, carry considerable risk.

    The immediate goals for the franchise arent nearly as high as they were when President Ernie Grunfeld signed Flip Saunders to a four-year, $18 million deal in 2009. But even with the team possessing a lower profile than three years ago when the team was trying to squeeze out one more postseason run from the Gilbert Arenas, Antawn Jamison and Caron Butler era this still was an incredibly important decision.

    By giving Wittman a reported two years, the Wizards have also linked him to the most critical seasons of John Walls career: Wall will be eligible for a contract extension after next season and otherwise would hit restricted free agency in the summer of 2014. The Wizards have to sincerely believe that the third time will indeed be the charm for a coach with a career record of 118-238 and that Wittman can help Wall, the 2010 No. 1 overall pick, maximize his vast promise in Washington.

    With a Hall of Famer in Jerry Sloan, Stan Van Gundy, Nate McMillan and Mike DAntoni among the successful retreads on the market, and assistants such as Brian Shaw and Mike Malone also available, the Wizards certainly had other avenues to pursue.

    But Wittman was still under contract for next season and owner Ted Leonsis wanted to get a better sense of the coach who had the support of the players after winning eight of the final 10 games. Wittman and Leonsis spent a day together last month, and apparently hit it off. When Leonsis said he was very, very comfortable with Wittman at the NBA draft lottery, the next step was simple.

    Wittmans hiring, though, also says a lot about a current trend in the NBA. Allotting big money to big-name coaches is starting to become more rare as the position becomes devalued and more expendable.

    After Gregg Popovich, Doc Rivers and George Karl, the fourth-longest tenured coach in the NBA is Erik Spoelstra, who is in his fourth season. Phil Jackson, the legendary coach with more championship rings (11) than fingers, was available and intrigued about a possible return to the New York Knicks where he also won two championships as a player. But the Knicks never even contacted Jackson, who earned $10 million in his final season with the Los Angeles Lakers.

    New York stuck with Mike Woodson, who guided the team to its only playoff game victory in the past 11 years after replacing DAntoni and came at a considerably lower price tag than Jackson likely wouldve commanded.

    The price of NBA coaches was starting to come down well before the lockout, but the trend will continue with teams seeking ways to cut down costs under a new financial structure. Now, the Wizards didnt decide to keep Wittman only because of he was going to come cheaper than the alternatives the support of his players in exit interviews and his ability to connect with them was perhaps more significant but it certainly was a factor.

    Go here to read the rest:
    What retaining Randy Wittman means for the Wizards

    Downpour causes retaining wall to collapse in Tanjung Bungah - June 2, 2012 by Mr HomeBuilder

    HEAVY rain also brought mayhem to some residents in Tanjung Bungah, Penang, as three cars were crushed by a minor landslide.

    In the 9am incident, a retaining wall in a residents garden collapsed after an overnight downpour, leaving the cars under tonnes of debris.

    Businesswoman Cheng Wui Yiun, 30, said she had been parking her car at the same spot behind the house for the past 10 years.

    Im shocked to see my only car in this condition. Nothing like this had happened before, said Cheng, who is renting a room in the house.

    The houseowner, who declined to be named, said she was in her sitting room when the incident occurred.

    Suddenly, I heard a loud noise behind my house and upon checking, I was shocked to find my backyard wall had collapsed, she said.

    She added that she had been living in the house for the past 30 years and no such incident had happened before.

    Tanjung Bungah assemblyman Teh Yee Cheu arrived at the scene shortly after the incident yesterday.

    He said both the car owners and house owners should make individual reports to the Penang Municipal Council.

    State Health, Welfare, Caring Society and Environment Committee chairman Phee Boon Poh said the incident was disturbing and requested the council to conduct a thorough investigation.

    Originally posted here:
    Downpour causes retaining wall to collapse in Tanjung Bungah

    DUII suspect crashes into 3 cars, building - May 27, 2012 by Mr HomeBuilder

    by Jeff Thompson, KGW.com Staff

    kgw.com

    Posted on May 26, 2012 at 11:55 AM

    Updated today at 1:34 PM

    PORTLAND -- A Bethany-area woman was arrested after crashing into three cars and going over a retaining wall before driving through the front window of a restaurant Friday evening, police said.

    Police were called just after 7 p.m. to the report that an SUV had crashed into the Sweet Lemon Vegetarian Bistro, at 4888 NW Bethany Boulevard, according to Sgt. David Thompson of the Washington County Sheriff's Office.

    Responding deputies found that 51-year-old Teresa J. Florio had crashed into the restaurant after hitting several other objects.

    "She started in the parking lot across the street," Thompson said. "She backed into one car and then proceeded forward and crashed into two other cars. She then drove over a retaining wall, over the sidewalk, across NW Central Drive, over another sidewalk, and through the front window of the restaurant."

    There were no reports of injuries. The restaurant had closed for the weekend and nobody was inside.

    Florio was taken to the Washington County Jail and booked on DUII charges.

    Read more here:
    DUII suspect crashes into 3 cars, building

    I-5 Samish Way ramp to remain closed another month in Bellingham - May 25, 2012 by Mr HomeBuilder

    Date: Thursday, May 24, 2012

    Contact: Dustin Terpening, WSDOT communications, 360-757-5997 (Burlington) Chris Damitio, WSDOT project engineer, 360-788-7403 (Bellingham)

    BELLINGHAM The Samish Way on-ramp to northbound Interstate 5 in Bellingham has been closed since April and will remain closed one more month while crews finish building a retaining wall to support and lengthen the ramp.

    The Washington State Department of Transportations contractor, Vetch Construction, is building a 900-foot-long retaining wall so that the Samish Way ramp can be lengthened to help make it easier for drivers to get up to speed and merge with traffic.

    We had hoped to open the longer ramp by the end of this month, but the retaining wall is taking longer to complete than anticipated, said WSDOT Project Engineer Chris Damitio.

    There were 15 anchors (out of 112) in the retaining wall that did not pass a strength test and have to be repaired. The repairs have added a few additional weeks of work to the closure. Anchors are long pieces of rebar that are drilled and cemented into the hillside to hold the wall in place.

    Crews are repairing the anchors now, said Damitio. We cant lengthen the ramp without a strong retaining wall, and the anchors are what hold the wall in place.

    The Samish Way on-ramp is now expected to open by the end of June. When completed, the ramp will be an additional 950 feet longer than it is today.

    < Go Back

    Here is the original post:
    I-5 Samish Way ramp to remain closed another month in Bellingham

    Motorcycle rider dies after smacking into wall - May 22, 2012 by Mr HomeBuilder

    Readmore: Local, Automotive, Motorcycle Crash in Colorado Springs, Motorcycle Crash on Cascade, Motorcycle Crash on Cheyenne, Motorcycle Death, Man Dies in Motorcycle Crash, Biker Crash Death in Colorado Springs, Man Killed while Riding Motorcycle, Rider Killed in Motorcycle Crash, Rider Dies after Hitting Retaining Wall, Rider Smacks into Retaining Wall, Motorcycle Death in Colorado Springs, Colorado Springs, Police

    COLORADO SPRINGS, COLO. -- A motorcycle rider died Sunday afternoon after losing control of his bike, crashing and being thrown into a retaining wall.

    According toColorado Springs Policeofficers, the crash happened at the five points intersection in the citynear Cascade Street, Tejon Street, Ramona Avenue and Cheyenne Boulevard.

    The rider lost control around12:46 p.m., and the rider was thrown from the bike, hitting the wall on the southwest curb-line.

    The rider was not wearing a helmet and died at the scene.

    Officers said the rider, whose name hasn't been released yet, was likely under the influence of alcohol.

    No other cars or bikes were involved. Officers detoured traffic around the area until about 3 a.m. Monday.

    Read more here:
    Motorcycle rider dies after smacking into wall

    Radnor board OKs SEPTA's access to lot - May 18, 2012 by Mr HomeBuilder

    The Radnor Board of Commissioners agreed Monday to a license agreement with SEPTA to access part of its municipal parking lot at Glenbrook Road while the transit authority rebuilds a retaining wall.

    The wall holds back the bank at the Route 100 line.

    The wall is badly deteriorated; its taking our parking lot with it, pointed out Stephen F. Norcini, public-works director.

    The wall has even collapsed in one area.

    Because of limited right-of-away onto the lot, which is at 822 Glenbrook Road in Bryn Mawr, the transit authority sought access to eight parking spaces that will be cordoned off from public use and reserved for construction purposes.

    The anticipated project length is five months.

    Not only will the transit authority repave the area impacted by their construction activities but SEPTA has agreed that after it completes the project it will resurface and stripe the entire parking lot. The value of such paving and stripping of the parking area outside of the work area is valued at $12,000.

    The township recommended to the board that the temporary loss of parking spaces is outweighed by the cost savings of not having to repave the lot. According to the township, the lot is not heavily used and on a normal weekday there are more unoccupied parking spaces than occupied ones.

    Follow us on Facebook

    Follow us on Twitter Continued...

    View post:
    Radnor board OKs SEPTA's access to lot

    « old entrysnew entrys »



    Page 240«..1020..239240241242..250..»


    Recent Posts