Categorys
Pages
Linkpartner


    Page 35«..1020..34353637..4050..»



    Down to the Barbed Wire - October 3, 2014 by Mr HomeBuilder

    Photo: Senior Zack Thielk manhandles a DeKalb player during Kanelands 37-34 loss against the Barbs. Photo by Laura Gampfer

    Late comeback try falls short in first-ever conference loss to DeKalb KANELANDIt seems like 2014 has the Northern Illinois Big XII Conference upside down.

    DeKalb and Yorkville are atop the current landscape, with Kaneland, Sycamore and Morris looking up.

    The Knights, after a valiant fourth-quarter comeback and a penchant for matching visiting DeKalbs big plays, had the ball and a chance to at least tie the game with 42 seconds to go, but a Barb interception on the drives second play ended the threat and set the final in DeKalbs favor, 37-34 on Friday.

    Thats what we preach to these guys, KHS coach Tom Fedderly said. Weve got to come here and have a chance at the end if we dont make a lot of mistakes. Thats something we really worked on all week. We really had a good week of practice.

    Kaneland falls to 2-3, with an 0-2 mark in the Northern Illinois Big XII. It marked the first losing streak in conference play since the NIB-12s 2010 kickoff. The Knights have not had a 2-3 mark in regular season play since the 2007 campaign, after wins over Burlington Central and Batavia, with losses against Marmion Academy, Rochelle and Sycamore.

    DeKalb is 5-0 and has already matched its 2013 win total, with meetings against Morris, Rochelle, undefeated Yorkville and undefeated Geneseo still to come.

    These guys have been playing for a while. This is their year, and they have a lot of really good seniors and theyve got a pretty good sophomore quarterback, Fedderly said.

    Kaneland QB Jake Marczuk was 23-for-36 for 420 yards, two touchdowns and three interceptions. Wideout Connor Fedderly had 294 yards receiving and two touchdown catches, including a 61-yard bomb that brought the game to its final margin. Tyler Paulson had four catches for 69 yards.

    DeKalbs Rudy Lopez picked off a tipped pass to end the first drive of the game, and the Barbs converted with a 63-yard scoring scamper by Eriq Torrey. Danny Hammermeister blocked the PAT to make it 6-0 with 8:44 left in the first frame.

    See the original post:
    Down to the Barbed Wire

    16 Curb Appeal: The final reveal - October 2, 2014 by Mr HomeBuilder

    GOSHEN, Ind. -- WNDU surprised Goshen High School teacher Jordan Willsey with the news that he was the winner of this years 16 Curb Appeal Project. He teaches kids to stay in school and set high goals.

    Service to me is paying back for what others did for me, said Willsey. I had a lot of stuff done for me in the past. So it's paying it forward to students and future soldiers.

    Jordan served two tours in Iraq and is currently a staff sergeant with Grissom Air Reserve base.

    He had one request of the landscape makeover: a place where he could fly his flag at his Mishawaka home. A storm took down his flag pole last year.

    Mark Linton from Lintons Enchanted Gardens inspected Willseys front yard.

    Right now we've got this huge Sycamore in the way, said Linton. It's probably the most ideal place to fly a flag.

    The tree came down thanks to the quick work of Big B's Tree Service of Elkhart that donated their work to our 16 Curb Appeal project.

    With a clean slate, the Linton crews went to work following exciting blueprints that not only extended the landscaping down the sloping yard, but added stone terraces for beauty and function.

    The old front porch landscaping had timbers and tired shrubs. The new look features the stone wall and a flower bed for annuals.

    Linton selected pansies for the space.

    Link:
    16 Curb Appeal: The final reveal

    "Project Front Yard" to transform Lafayette's landscape - October 1, 2014 by Mr HomeBuilder

    The Lafayette Consolidated Government introduced "Project Front Yard" before a huge audience Monday. An audience that included community leaders, elected officials, residents and business owners. "If this was a cleanup week, I've wouldn't have bothered. This is not about just having cleanup day. It's about changing the way we think," says LCG President Joey Durel.

    LCG plans to propose ordinances for both civil and criminal enforcement's to support the beautification effort. Assistant to the City-Parish President Matherine McCormick explains. "We looked at other communities that have made truly cultural shifts and how did they do it? Really it's getting everyone on board and everyone to the table in their own way."

    The Lafayette Parish School District plans to be a part of the litter-free initiative. LPSS Superintendent Dr. Pat Cooper explained how local businesses have helped to transform aging schools. One high school student said he intends to ask classmates to pitch-in and pickup. "High school [students] inspire the younger generation. We're the leaders and the people they look up to," says Jacob LeMeunier.

    LCG Councilman Brandon Shelvin spoke of the possibility of revitalizing the what's called the four corner's area and possibly replacing the hotel "less pay" with a police substation. "The people that have been there for many many years and who have endured the stigmatism of that hotel. It lets the people know that we care. "Our goal is to make Lafayette Parish a more beautiful and pleasing place for when our visitors come to visit and our residents as well."

    For more information visit the website projectfrontyard.com.

    Here is the original post:
    "Project Front Yard" to transform Lafayette's landscape

    Contractors yard planned on Route 7 - October 1, 2014 by Mr HomeBuilder

    Traffic gets heavy during commuter hours on Route 7 near where a contractors yard is proposed. This is early evening looking south. The proposed development would be on the east side of Route 7, to the left. Macklin Reid photo

    A year after Ergotech withdrew plans for a light manufacturing facility on Route 7, bowing out in the face of neighborhood opposition, the three-acre site bordering The Regency at Ridgefield condominium complex has been proposed for development as a facility that contractors could work out of and store construction equipment.

    Multi-unit contractors yard is the description of the proposed use in an application to the Planning and Zoning Commission by Larry Leary Development LLC, longtime owner of the site.

    Its a base of operations for a contractor, with a place for supplies and equipment, said Town Planner Betty Brosius, describing the plans. Youll get plumbers, electricians, landscape companies and other type of specialty trucks whoever needs a garage space and a little bit of office space and a restroom, and they store the trucks and equipment and apparatus.

    The commission accepted the application last week, and scheduled the proposal for a public hearing on Wednesday, Nov. 5. The commissions usual Tuesday evening meeting is pushed back a day that week, because Nov. 4 is Election Day.

    The property is on the east side of Route 7, a little south of the intersection of Route 35, directly across from Little Pond. The development site of a little less than three acres is wedged between Route 7 and the 73-unit Regency complex, which is to the east and north of the commercially zoned Leary property. The Regency condominiums are at a considerably higher elevation than the Route 7 frontage of the site, where development of the contractors yard is planned.

    The site improvement includes four buildings containing multiple contractor units and the driving and parking areas to support the four structures, John McCoy of JFM Engineering wrote in the application for Leary Development.

    In a pre-submission concept discussion with the commission, Mr. McCoy described the plans as a contractors yard with rental units for equipment and possible outdoor storage for equipment in parking spaces.

    Four buildings totaling more than 13,000 square feet and containing a total of 14 units, are described in the application, with a parking area to accommodate 36 cars or trucks.

    The development plans show two front buildings off Route 7, each two and one-half stories with three contractors units and 2,887 square feet of space. Behind those are two more buildings, one and one-half stories high, each with four contractors units and 3,841 square feet of space.

    Original post:
    Contractors yard planned on Route 7

    Bunnings announces $5m expansion to Lismore hardware store - September 29, 2014 by Mr HomeBuilder

    SOUTH Lismore is set to become a home repair hot-spot after Bunnings got the go-ahead for a $5 million improvement to its existing store that will roughly coincide with the opening of a new $11.5 million Masters Home Improvement store, right next door.

    The new look Bunnings will have an extended timber trade sales yard and nursery, while the general warehouse will also be expanded to include kitchen and bathroom displays, Bunnings chief operating officer Peter Davis said.

    "We have been part of the Lismore community since 2001 and we're looking forward to bringing an even better store," he said.

    "As part of the expansion the total store area will grow to almost 10,000 square metres.

    "The existing building materials and landscape yard will be fully enclosed to create a weather proof timber trade sales area, a canopy will be added over the nursery and extra covered floor space will allow for a wider range of products," he said.

    The expansion is expected to be complete by early 2015 and will include implementation a number of energy and water saving design features.

    Bunnings will continue trading through the upgrade period.

    Late last year the Council approved a new $11.5 million Masters Home Improvement store, now under construction next to the Bunnings store on Bruxner Highway, south of Three Chain Road.

    The Masters store will be 10,000 square metres in size and create more than 250 retail and construction jobs.

    The store is due to be open a few months after Xmas.

    Read more:
    Bunnings announces $5m expansion to Lismore hardware store

    Young Loveland team falls to undefeated Fort Collins - September 26, 2014 by Mr HomeBuilder

    By Sean Star

    Reporter-Herald Sports Writer

    Change is inevitable. And depending on the new landscape, it can be good or bad.

    For the Fort Collins football team dropping down a classification this year to 4A, change has been nothing but positive.

    For a Loveland squad that lost nearly all significant contributors from last year's state quarterfinal team, change has made this fall a rebuilding year.

    Thursday night at Patterson Stadium, the two programs continued to trend in opposite directions as fifth-ranked Fort Collins breezed its way to a 37-14 victory.

    The Lambkins (5-0) jumped all over the Indians right from the start, forcing LHS to go three-and-out on its first four possessions. On the other side of the ball, FCHS scored on its first offensive play when wide receiver Kielar Harpham took a reverse 35 yards to the house.

    Fort Collins added two more touchdowns in the first quarter and another score just before halftime to go up 27-0 at the break.

    Senior Jake Weinmaster was a bright spot for the now 1-4 Indians, rushing five times for 95 yards and coming up with two interceptions. The senior LHS linebacker/running back broke a 73-yard run early in the second half to set up the Indians first score, a 6-yard toss by Ayden Eberhardt to Charles Dunkelman.

    But by then, the Lambkins were already comfortably ahead after they took the opening drive of the third quarter 78 yards in 11 plays to go up 34-0.

    Read more:
    Young Loveland team falls to undefeated Fort Collins

    Month in, Yard Official Says Smoking Ban Implementation Smooth - September 24, 2014 by Mr HomeBuilder

    As of Aug. 15, smoking has been banned in Harvard Yard.

    Over a month after Harvard banned the use of all forms of tobacco in the Yard, Harvard staff and students said that the implementation of the ban has been smooth, with its impact localized to a few areas.

    According to Maureen McCarthy, manager of Harvard Yard and the freshman dormitories, the University has been enforcing the smoking ban similarly to the way it enforces the ban against biking through the Yard. Staff members, including members of Securitas and Yard Operations, approach smokers and ask them to either desist or leave the Yard.

    McCarthy said she has not heard any reports about hostile or uncooperative responses from either students or tourists.

    Were not really aggressively implementing it, but people slowly learn that its a policy, and they get the word out, she said.

    Students interviewed around the Yard this week said that they were aware of the ban and pleased it is in place, though many also noted that they had not found issue with smokers in the Yard before the prohibition was put in place Aug. 15.

    I think its probably a good thing, but its never been a problem, Caroline L. Ferguson 17, a Crimson sports editor, said of the ban. If I was around people smoking I think itd probably bother me, but I didnt notice before that it was [a problem].

    According to McCarthy, although smokers in the Yard were not considered a huge issue before the ban, there were certain locations in the Yard that were popular for smokers. At locations such as Widener Gate, the steps of Lamont Library, and entryway D of Wigglesworth Hall, cigarette butts posed a cleanup problem for landscape maintenance staff members.

    According to the University Department of Health Promotion and Education, the ban was put in place to ensure a safe, healthy environment for people to walk, study, be active, [and] engage with each other.

    Student smokers interviewed for this story said that the ban has made smoking more inconvenient and prompted them to change where they smoke, but it has not promoted any broad lifestyle changes.

    Go here to read the rest:
    Month in, Yard Official Says Smoking Ban Implementation Smooth

    Roethlisberger, Steelers roll past Panthers - September 22, 2014 by Mr HomeBuilder

    Ben Roethlisberger threw two third-quarter touchdown passes to wide receiver Antonio Brown, and the Pittsburgh Steelers used a key play on special teams to ward off the Carolina Panthers 37-19 Sunday night at Bank of America Stadium.

    All three of the quarterback's touchdown passes this season went to Brown.

    Both teams are 2-1.

    The Panthers' eight-game regular-season home winning streak ended, with hundreds of towel-waving Steelers fans in the crowd dominating the scene in the waning minutes.

    Pittsburgh running back Le'Veon Bell rushed for 147 yards on 21 carries. Steelers running back LeGarrette Blount scored the last touchdown on an 8-yard run, and he finished with 118 yards on 10 attempts.

    Roethlisberger completed 22 of 30 passes for 196 yards with no interceptions. Carolina quarterback Cam Newton was 24-for-35 for 250 yards and a touchdown with no interceptions. He didn't play the last series.

    A third-quarter turnover set up the game's first touchdown and helped Pittsburgh pull away.

    Linebacker Jarvis Jones' sack of Newton dislodged the ball, and linebacker Jason Worilds recovered at the Carolina 17.

    The Steelers appeared to be headed toward their fourth field goal, but the Panthers jumped offside. On the next play, Roethlisberger hit Brown with a 7-yard touchdown toss.

    Roethlisberger and Brown connected on another 7-yard touchdown play with 2:22 to go in the third quarter. That came after Bell's 81-yard dash on a second-and-22 play altered the landscape.

    The rest is here:
    Roethlisberger, Steelers roll past Panthers

    Big Ben to Brown works again as Steelers put down Panthers - September 22, 2014 by Mr HomeBuilder

    CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Ben Roethlisberger threw two third-quarter touchdown passes to wide receiver Antonio Brown, and the Pittsburgh Steelers used a key play on special teams to ward off the Carolina Panthers 37-19 Sunday night at Bank of America Stadium.

    All three of the quarterback's touchdown passes this season went to Brown.

    Both teams are 2-1.

    The Panthers' eight-game regular-season home winning streak ended, with hundreds of towel-waving Steelers fans in the crowd dominating the scene in the waning minutes.

    Pittsburgh running back Le'Veon Bell rushed for 147 yards on 21 carries. Steelers running back LeGarrette Blount scored the last touchdown on an 8-yard run, and he finished with 118 yards on 10 attempts.

    Roethlisberger completed 22 of 30 passes for 196 yards with no interceptions. Carolina quarterback Cam Newton was 24-for-35 for 250 yards and a touchdown with no interceptions. He didn't play the last series.

    A third-quarter turnover set up the game's first touchdown and helped Pittsburgh pull away.

    Linebacker Jarvis Jones' sack of Newton dislodged the ball, and linebacker Jason Worilds recovered at the Carolina 17.

    The Steelers appeared to be headed toward their fourth field goal, but the Panthers jumped offside. On the next play, Roethlisberger hit Brown with a 7-yard touchdown toss.

    Roethlisberger and Brown connected on another 7-yard touchdown play with 2:22 to go in the third quarter. That came after Bell's 81-yard dash on a second-and-22 play altered the landscape.

    The rest is here:
    Big Ben to Brown works again as Steelers put down Panthers

    Pittsburgh receiver Antonio Brown catches two touchdowns - September 22, 2014 by Mr HomeBuilder

    CHARLOTTE, N.C. -

    Ben Roethlisberger threw two third-quarter touchdown passes to wide receiver Antonio Brown, and the Pittsburgh Steelers used a key play on special teams to ward off the Carolina Panthers 37-19 Sunday night at Bank of America Stadium.

    All three of the quarterback's touchdown passes this season went to Brown.

    Both teams are 2-1.

    The Panthers' eight-game regular-season home winning streak ended, with hundreds of towel-waving Steelers fans in the crowd dominating the scene in the waning minutes.

    Pittsburgh running back Le'Veon Bell rushed for 147 yards on 21 carries. Steelers running back LeGarrette Blount scored the last touchdown on an 8-yard run, and he finished with 118 yards on 10 attempts.

    Roethlisberger completed 22 of 30 passes for 196 yards with no interceptions. Carolina quarterback Cam Newton was 24-for-35 for 250 yards and a touchdown with no interceptions. He didn't play the last series.

    A third-quarter turnover set up the game's first touchdown and helped Pittsburgh pull away.

    Linebacker Jarvis Jones' sack of Newton dislodged the ball, and linebacker Jason Worilds recovered at the Carolina 17.

    The Steelers appeared to be headed toward their fourth field goal, but the Panthers jumped offside. On the next play, Roethlisberger hit Brown with a 7-yard touchdown toss.

    Read more from the original source:
    Pittsburgh receiver Antonio Brown catches two touchdowns

    « old entrysnew entrys »



    Page 35«..1020..34353637..4050..»


    Recent Posts